MV Hondius cruise ship: WHO Confirms 12th Hantavirus Case

Dusmanta Behera
Dusmanta Behera - Editor-in-Chief
1 Min Read

NewzVille Desk

A 12th hantavirus case linked to the MV Hondius cruise ship has been confirmed after a crew member tested positive, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Friday. The vessel had arrived in the Netherlands last week for disinfection.

WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said at a press conference that the infected crew member had disembarked in Tenerife before being repatriated to the Netherlands, where the person has been kept in isolation.

Tedros said the incubation period for hantavirus can extend up to six weeks. A total of 12 cases and three deaths have been reported so far in the outbreak.

He also thanking Captain Jan Dobrogowski said, “I’m deeply grateful for Jan’s cooperation and leadership as he navigated the ship through an extraordinary and scary journey. Thank you, dear Jan, for steering your passengers towards safety.”

No new deaths have been recorded since May 2, when the outbreak was first reported to the WHO.

Dutch authorities said the infected crew member had been admitted to hospital.

Share This Article
Dusmanta Behera
By Dusmanta Behera Editor-in-Chief
Follow:
Dusmanta Behera's pioneering experience of 26 years includes key roles at News Today Pvt Ltd, ETV Networks, Lok Sabha TV. Rajya Sabha TV, and Sansad TV. As an accredited Video Journalist for more than 15 years under MI&B, Government of India covered State Visits of Prime Minister and Vice President. Valuable Contributions include Series on "National Security" and Chamber Telecast. Key interest remains in Documentaries on Armed Forces and Travelogues.
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *